As a homeowner, you should pay attention to your garage door once it stops working. A broken spring is one of the most common issues with garage doors. Garage door springs are an essential component of your garage door’s opening system, and when one breaks, it can cause the door to become unstable and dangerous. In this guide, we will discuss everything you need to know.
What is a Garage Door Spring?
Garage door springs are responsible for the smooth operation of your garage door. They are tightly wound metal coils that help to lift and lower the door. Unfortunately, broken door springs are among the most common reasons homeowners call for garage door repair services.
Signs of a Broken Garage Door Spring
A broken garage door spring is a serious problem that requires prompt attention. Here are three common signs to look out for:
- The door won’t open or close: One of the most obvious signs of a broken garage door spring is when the door won’t open or close. The spring has likely broken if you hear a loud bang or snap.
- The door appears crooked or uneven: If the door looks crooked or uneven when opening or closing, this can also be a sign of a broken spring.
- The opener motor runs, but the door doesn’t move: If the opener motor runs but the door doesn’t move, it’s possible that the spring is broken and needs to be replaced.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s important to call a professional garage door repair service to fix the problem.
What Causes Garage Door Springs to Break?
Garage door springs can break due to various factors. Common causes include:
- Wear and tear. Most springs have a 10,000 life cycle.
- Rust and corrosion.
- Damage from external forces
- Extreme fluctuations in weather temps .
- Using the wrong type of spring for the garage door’s weight.
Over time, the stress from opening and closing the garage door can cause the springs to wear down and break. Rust can form due to environmental factors, weakening the springs. Damage from an external force, such as a vehicle hitting the door, can also cause breakage. That’s why using the appropriate spring type for the garage door’s weight is important to avoid premature failure.
DIY Garage Door Spring Repair vs. Professional Repair
While trying to fix it yourself may be tempting, it’s essential to understand the risks associated with DIY garage door spring repair. Here, we will discuss the pros and cons of DIY garage door spring repair vs. professional repair so you can make an informed decision.
DIY Garage Door Spring Repair
- Saves money: DIY garage door spring repair can save you money on labor costs.
- High risk of injury or death: Garage door springs are under a high hyper-tension and weight; therefore, you will need to be extremely cautious. The force of the spring can prove to be so strong that it can cause serious injuries or even death.
- Lack of expertise: Garage door springs are a complex component, and attempting to fix them without the proper expertise can lead to further damage to your garage door system.
- May void warranty: Attempting to repair your garage door spring yourself may void any existing warranties on the garage door or its components.
Professional Garage Door Spring Repair
- Safety: Professional garage door spring repair services have the tools and expertise to repair or replace the springs safely and efficiently, reducing the risk of injury or death.
- Expertise: Professional garage door repair companies have trained technicians who understand the complexities of garage door springs and can fix them without causing further damage.
- Warranty: Reputable garage door repair companies offer a warranty on their work, giving you peace of mind knowing that your garage door springs are covered.
Cost: Professional garage door spring repair can be more expensive than attempting to fix it yourself. However, considering the safety risks associated with DIY repairs, the cost is worth it.
Can you fix a broken garage door spring? Unless you have the skills to fix it, it’s best to leave it to the repair professionals. Reputable garage door repair companies have trained technicians to get your garage door up and running again.
What to Expect in Professional Garage Door Spring Repair Services
Professional garage door spring repair is a complex process that only trained and experienced technicians perform. Attempting to repair garage door springs yourself can be dangerous, and it’s recommended that you leave it to the professionals. Here’s a step-by-step process of how professional garage door spring repair is typically performed:
- Inspection and Assessment: A professional technician will begin by inspecting the garage door and springs to determine the extent of the damage and what repairs are needed.
- Spring Replacement: If the garage door spring is broken, the technician will carefully remove the old spring and replace it with a new one that is the appropriate size and strength for the door.
- Balancing and Alignment: Once the new spring is in place, the technician will balance and align the door to ensure it operates smoothly and safely.
- Lubrication: The technician will then lubricate all moving parts of the garage door to ensure they function properly and last longer.
Professionals have the tools, knowledge, and expertise to handle garage door spring repair safely and efficiently. Attempting to repair garage door springs yourself is dangerous. Instead, professional repair services guarantee their work, providing peace of mind and protecting homeowners from costly mistakes.
The Importance of Timely Garage Door Spring Repair
Garage door spring repair is not something to be taken lightly. Broken garage door springs can cause serious injury or even death. Therefore, promptly addressing any issues with your garage door springs is essential.
Use Professional Garage Door Spring Repair Service to Avoid Safety Risks!
If you notice a broken garage door spring, call for a professional garage door spring repair service to avoid safety risks. A professional garage door repair company will have the tools and expertise to repair or replace your door springs safely and efficiently. Contact us today for reliable garage door repair services.
Call for an estimate, or schedule one of our professional technicians – whether you’ve had a garage door spring break, your garage door opener quit working, your overhead doors need maintenance service, or you want new modern overhead doors for your new home. We can offer you cost-effective, trouble-free garage door solutions.
If you’d like to receive an estimate to repair or service the overhead garage door system in your home please give us a call 281-623-4335 or fill out our contact form and someone will be getting right back to you.